Palestinian Speculative Fiction Anthology -Call for submissions –
Roseway, an imprint of Fernwood Publishing, will be publishing Thyme Travelers, an anthology of speculative fiction by Palestinian writers edited by Sonia Sulaiman!
What is speculative fiction? I take a very broad definition of genre fiction. If your story hinges on some aspect that departs from consensus reality, submit. Some genres this includes are: climate fiction, dystopian, fabulism, fantasy, folklore retellings, futurism, horror, science fiction, and surrealism.
This anthology is open to writers who identify as Palestinian. This includes all Palestinians living anywhere in the world, and of any race. Authors from marginalized groups are encouraged to submit.
Address your submissions to Sonia Sulaiman, the editor for this book.
Submission period is open from May 1st 2023 to midnight (EDST) May 31st 2023. [EXTENDED to midnight (EDST) JUNE 30th]
What I want:
- Submissions must be in English, using Modern Manuscript Format (https://www.shunn.net/format/story/), and be between 1000 and 5000 words.
- Speculative fiction of all sorts.
- No more than three stories per submission, and only one submission per author.
- First-printing world exclusive English-language rights for this anthology alone.
What I don’t want:
- Stories over 5 000 words.
- Excessive gore.
- Polemics (if it’s a rant, I don’t want it).
- Unexamined orientalism, racism, misogyny, transphobia, or bigotry.
- Compensation will be at a pro rate of 8 cents per word.
How to submit:
- All stories must be original, previously unpublished, and the work of the author without assistance from AI programs.
- No simultaneous or multiple submissions.
- All submissions should be sent in RTF, DOC, PDF, or DOCX formats.
- A short bio (no more than 200 words) should accompany the submission.
- Submission period is open from May 1st 2023 to midnight (EDST) May 31st 2023. [EXTENDED to midnight (EDST) JUNE 30th]
- Submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “SUBMISSION: [Title].”